Are You in an Abusive Relationship?
Many people are in abusive relationships without even knowing it. But all abusive relationships have warning signs. This self-quiz will help you recognize the early warning signs.
NEED HELP NOW?
Call our 24-hour hotline: 877-854-3594
NOTE: Due to safety issues for our clients, we cannot respond to email messages about individual situations or circumstances. We encourage anyone needing help or referrals to services to contact our 24 hour hotline. Someone is there to listen and help.
Do You See Any Warning Signs?
If you answer “yes” to more than a couple of the following questions, you need to get help now! Call the phone number listed above.
Does your boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife:
- Want to spend every minute together?
- Quiz you about everything you do when you are apart?
- Keep you from seeing old friends or even family members?
- Make fun of you or put you down in public?
- Threaten to do something bad to you, your children or a family member, themselves or even a pet if you break up? Make you feel like you can’t end the relationship?
- Use alcohol or drugs as an excuse for being mean?
- Have an uncontrollable temper?
- Often get upset and refuse to discuss the reasons why?
- Force you to do things that you don’t feel comfortable doing?
Effects of Domestic Violence on Children
Clinical studies indicate that children who are exposed to domestic violence show a change in the structure of the developing brain. They exhibit signs of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. These children are either reactive and aggressive or quiet and shut-down. They often feel that the world is unsafe. They have difficulty expressing their feelings in healthy ways.
These children show the following characteristics:
- Nightmares and fearful behavior
- Difficulty focusing
- Demonstrate aggressive behavior
- Problems at school
- Difficulty with peers
Want more information on our services and how to access them? Go Here.